Skip to main content

Secret School Project Revealed

Now that it's officially been unveiled I'm able to share my Top Secret New Year Project. During the Christmas break I've been painting a mural at The Howard of Effingham School. It's a great school with a brilliant library and I'm regularly invited to run creative workshops for Year 7s and 8s. Apart from book publication days, visits to The Howard are the highlight of my year.

Here's the full story...

My task was to 'make reading cool' and to make the English Department an exciting place to be, so my proposal was to depict a mixture of set texts (Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Keats etc.) and my favourite YA fiction, giving them a quirky twist... and a liberal dash of humour.

At the end of last term the plot was hatched. Secret meetings were scheduled. Ideas were submitted. Sketches were approved. The dark, dreary walls of the English Department corridor suddenly acquired a set of huge MDF boards. The pupils suspected that something was afoot but knew they'd have to wait until January to find out what mad scheme would greet them on their return...
Once the building was empty I got to work. I gathered my sketches, bought paint...
...and started to draw...
I just about finished and cleared up by the time everyone returned to school on Monday, but I had to wait until Thursday and the official ribbon cutting (by the Head) before I discovered whether the pupils loved or hated it. The verdict? They love it! Phew!
The ribbon was cut, speeches were made, I was presented some lovely flowers (and a 'thank you' balloon), was photographed by the local paper, interviewed by pupils, then we all drank tea and ate cake! Pretty much a perfect result.
Junior journalists Charley, Francisca and Mary interviewing me while keeping an eye on the cakes!

Comments

  1. Thank you to Ros, Julie, Cathi, Sean and all the staff at The Howard for making the project one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever undertaken. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Kudos to the school for thinking of new ways to get young people interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying 'brilliant library' was chuffed to bits! Cathi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again. The walls look so great; we are so lucky. And thank you too for the 'Jody Barton' recommendation - what a great book. I shall now be working my way through the other books named on the murals that I haven't read! Saira (The teacher who didn't enjoy 'The Hunger Games'!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These images looks like inviting students to read more and stay in the library for it's cool to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Title:
    The Best High Returns on Best Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://www.whatacash.com

    Display Name: whatacash

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jumping at my desk about Ember

It seems my first ever book is still being discovered and enjoyed by new readers. This makes me very happy indeed, as you can probably imagine.
This week I was sent a 'Book Report' by a chap called Dexter (aged 9 and 3/4) and was delighted to see that he had chosen to write about Ember Fury. Turns out Dexter is a pretty good author himself. The report was really well written and I was pleased to hear that all my favourite bits of Ember Fury are Dexter's too. Instead of focussing on Ember's attention-seeking fire-starting or the crazy desert car chase with Finn, Dexter chose the scene where Em gave the chauffeur the slip and ended up in the comic book store as his fave (which was, incidentally, the best scene to write).
His favourite character was Ned, whom I ADORE too, almost more than Ember (shhh, don't tell her!). Dexter also liked my drawings and said they were 'amazing' which made me jump up and down at my desk (Dangerous as I'd just made a hot mug…

2017! Yay!

Happy New Year! Lots happening in 2017, particularly in the next few weeks, so I'm a little too busy to blog. I'll be back soon to update you on the launch of 'Electrigirl & the Invisible Thieves' in May, my exciting museum project, my next illustration commission for Barrington Stoke and two new spooky book projects I'm hoping to complete and submit later this year, one for 7-11s and one for YA/adults. C U L8R alligator...

Surrey Artists' Open Studios

What a glorious weekend!
The spectacular weather has really shown off my new studio. The light has been wonderful, the perfect gallery space. The garden looks pretty great too. I've been asked for contact details of my landscaper, Jeff Roots, by LOADS of people and then yesterday he turned up with his family to see the fruits of all his hard work (and my planting, obvs!)

I had lots of visitors over the first two days and can't wait 'till next Saturday. I'll be open 11am - 5pm on the 11th, 12th, 18th & 19th June, so come along if you can. www.surreyopenstudios.org.ukClick HERE for details of all the other studios, maps and trails.